Serves : 4
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for chilli –
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 200g 5% fat minced beef
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated or crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 X 400g tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 reduced salt or normal beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
Ingredients for slaw –
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/3 small red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 x 198g tin sweetcorn in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
|Calories column||Fat column||Saturates column||Sugars column||Salt column|
Heat a large sauté pan until hot. Add the vegetable oil and minced beef and fry for 3-4 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside.
Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in the tomato puree and garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the peppers, tomatoes, lentils, browned beef and crumble in the stock cube. Refill the tomato tin with water and add to the pan then stir well.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until tender and just thickened.
Meanwhile, make the slaw. Tip the red onion, carrots, cabbage, sweetcorn and coriander into a bowl. Add the lime zest and juice and season with salt and black pepper then set aside to soften while the chilli cooks.
Divide the chilli between serving bowls and serve the slaw alongside.