Serves : 6-8
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-2 1/2 hours
- 1 whole leg of lamb (about 2-2.5kg)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 rosemary sprigs, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, cut into thin strips
- 1kg Rooster potatoes, scrubbed and sliced about 3mm thick
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- 200g kale, shredded
- 1 litre chicken stock
Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4.
Season the lamb with salt and black pepper, then make small deep slits all over the lamb with a sharp knife. Press the rosemary mini sprigs and pieces of garlic into the slits, pressing in well.
Layer the onions, then kale then potatoes into a large ovenproof dish (it needs to be big enough for the lamb to fit on top of it, about 24cm x 30cm x 5cm deep), seasoning each layer with salt and black pepper. Repeat until all the potatoes, onion and kale are used, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
Pour the chicken stock over the top then press down gently, so that the potatoes are submerged.
Put the lamb directly onto the potato dish so that it sits on top of the vegetables. Place into the oven to roast for 2-2½ hours, until the lamb is nearly falling from the bone and the potatoes are really tender.