Serves : 6
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 400g broccoli spears, trimmed
- 100g curly kale, shredded
- 200g back bacon, cut into cubes
- knob of unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- knob ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon in to a colander and refresh under running cold water. Add the kale to the boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Once the vegetables are cold drain and dry on kitchen paper.
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan dry fry the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Add the butter to the frying pan reduce the heat. Add the shallots, garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the broccoli and kale and stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. Add the bacon and stir to combine.
Place the vegetables on a large serving plate. Sprinkle over the lemon zest and juice. Season. Serve straight away.